Recognizing the Signs of Diverticulitis

Stomach complaints, fevers, abdominal pain and other symptoms can have many different causes. However, if your doctor can’t arrive at a diagnosis, you’ll want more answers. A second opinion could reveal a hidden condition known as diverticulitis. 

In Kingwood, Texas, Dr. Ronald Ambe of Texas Surgical Care provides care for patients with diverticular disease and can offer you treatment options no matter how severe and frequent your symptoms have become.

Diverticular disease basics

The inside of your colon has a thin lining. As you age, weak areas can rupture, causing small pouches called diverticula to form. More than a third of people under the age of 50 have diverticulosis, and nearly 60% of people over the age of 60 have it as well. 

A full 85% of people with diverticulosis never have any symptoms. However, the remaining 15% develop some level of diverticulitis (diverticula that have become inflamed), and have mild-to-severe symptoms requiring treatment.

Symptoms of diverticulitis

You could go your whole life without ever having problems from diverticulosis. However, if one or more diverticula get inflamed or infected, or you’ve had a rupture, you’ll probably start having diverticulitis symptoms. The most common symptoms include:

You’ll often notice a lot of bloating and gas, causing discomfort on the left side of your abdomen. If you pass gas, the pain will typically subside temporarily until pressure builds up again.

Common risk factors

The most common risk factor for diverticulitis is age. Other factors that can increase your risk of diverticulitis include:

You can help reduce your risk for diverticulitis by eating a balanced, healthy diet, exercising sensibly each day, discussing any ongoing pain medications with your doctor, and quitting smoking.

Treatment for diverticulitis

Dr. Ambe and our team will go through your entire medical history to determine if your symptoms are likely caused by diverticulitis. You’ll need to tell us if anyone in your family has it, and give us a list of all of your medications and supplements.

If we arrive at a diverticulitis diagnosis, we’ll work with you to help you modify your diet plan, create a viable exercise routine, and achieve weight loss, if needed. If you’re having a bad flare, we can prescribe antibiotics to help eliminate infection. 

If you experience severe diverticulitis symptoms (such as bleeding from the rectum or severe, ongoing abdominal pain), Dr. Ambe may recommend an endoscopy to video the interior of your colon and look for diverticula that may have ruptured. He can perform surgery, if needed, to repair a perforated colon. 

Do you have unexplained symptoms that match those of diverticulitis? Give us a call at 832-280-6782 or schedule an appointment online with us today.

You Might Also Enjoy...

When to Schedule a Colonoscopy

If you get a group of older Americans in a room together, they’ll soon start comparing life experiences, including medical procedures such as a colonoscopy. How do you know if you need to schedule one for yourself?

What Makes Bowel Movements Painful?

Painful bowel movements are an issue that can have many causes. If you haven’t visited a doctor yet, an expert can help you diagnose and treat your bowel condition and relieve your pain.

When is a Cyst a Medical Problem?

Do you have a cyst in an uncomfortable or embarrassing place? Keep reading to find out when you should see a doctor about that cyst in your buttocks area and learn what treatment options are available.

Anal Fistula: Causes and Effective Treatments

If you’ve been diagnosed with an anal fistula, you might be feeling lost and overwhelmed. Here’s some insight into how anal fistulas are formed, what your risk factors are, and what your doctor can do for you.

Rectal Prolapse: There Are Solutions

Rectal prolapse can be scary, embarrassing, frustrating, and uncomfortable. Fortunately, there are solutions that can restore your confidence and eliminate your discomfort.

Tips for Managing Crohn's Disease

Flare-ups of Crohn’s disease symptoms can put a massive strain on your daily life. Here are some tips on how to manage your chronic condition, and when it might be time to consider surgical options.